Friday 16 May 2008

Changing Platforms Hazard

As the train pulled away, I ambled down the stairs to cross to the next platform. Click-click click-click tapped my new boots. There was a young man at the bottom step, looking back fondly on the steps. Our eyes met and he looked away.

I slowed my pace to allow him to go forward, but he dawdled so much that I unavoidably caught up with him. So I hastened to overtake him. Click-click click-click. But when we were level I heard him say "Hey, do you wanna get a pie or something?"

I tossed back casually "Oh, no thanks."

The young man turns to me, clutching a mobile phone to his ear and scowled "I wasn't talking to you!"

1 comment:

sandra j said...

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks for making my morning! =D

(so comforting to know i'm not the only one constantly cringing over my own awkwardness!)