Monday 5 May 2008

Black Music













What should I do with Black Music? T Pain, feat. Francisco's "Apple Bottom Jeans" brought this question to the fore again.

I have to hop out of the hiphop closet.

Musically, Black Music can be passionate, cheeky and infectious. Watch people walking by a shop pumping out R&B and note the involuntary shoulder thrust, the disguised booty-slap and the slowing of walking pace to the tempo. Anyone can be a dawg.

I've always taken it as OTT, clever satire. It's fun and funny. I give you Exhibit A:

You got me trippin', stumblin', flippin', fumblin'
Clumsy cuz I'm fallin in love, in love
You got me slippin', tumblin', sinkin', fumblin'
Clumsy cuz I'm fallin in love, in love
So in love with you
~ Fergie

You can let out your inner drama queen (oh, don't go there gf!). I defy you to "shake it like a Polaroid picture" (Outkast) without giggling. But aren't the artists taking themselves seriously? Would they be insulted if I wrote them off as parody?

The lyrics can be more than a little bit naughty and uber-sexualized. I'd be irresponsible for introducing it to under-aged people. A friend repeated the rapidly rapped sections of ABJ to me and I was shocked (and I've worked with engineers!).

So, can I take it as just frivolous fun? And label it "parody" in iTunes?

Or do I give it up? How much of it is soaking through my skin into my brain?

At which level am I participating? (this question can be asked of movies, social activities...)


I'd like to pay tribute to musicians who write funny songs (most of whom are clean).

Respect.

5 comments:

/Karen/ said...

Hee hee, go my husband! :)

Honoria said...

When friends tell me about their hernias, I just giggle now instead of giving them sympathy.

Please let me know when the Butterfly Sausage Pyramid is playing next!

Mel said...

Yo yo wassup yo fine female, wats goin on in da hood yo?


The lyrics can be superfine, genius. Take for example, Eminem's 'Stan' where a fan is writing a letter to Eminem's alter ego. Oops... Eminem is white, ain't he? Well, he's good rap.

Kanye West is the bomb. His 'Golddigger' number has genius lyrics. "I ain't sayin she's a gold digger, but she ain't messin with no broke niggers"

Usher has the beats, he is a smooth brotha. Plus the brotha sure can move.

Just between you and me (and all of cyberspace): some of the 'nasty female' songs are smokin, just when you want to picture youself as a big black female at one of those black parties. Examples: California Love (Tupac), Thong Song (Sisqo), Right Thurr. Brings out the animal even in good Moore College girls.

And don't forget the fine females: Mary J Blige and Missy Elliot are mean sistas I tell ya.



I don't know many of your list of black artists.

Alright, peace yo

Honoria said...

Oh, that was very funny, Mel!

You animal... RrrrrRRRR!

Stardom awaits, if only we had many lives to live! (Actually, two is plenty, especially since the second one goes on forever.)

I love MJB!! But I'm not a wannabe hoochie mama at one of those parties.

I love Eminem from his Eight Mile days (someone called him a wordsmith), but not so much as Slim Shady.

Yeh, no one's heard of the list of parody musos (they aren't black at all, just very funny)... it's very niche.

Word.

Hon said...

heehee...

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/album/28503103/review/28565349/the_end_the_energy_never_dies