Friday 17 August 2007

Through a Glass Darkly III

In Ancient Greek, the language "person" is from the domain of Theatre. Drama was pantomime, so persons on stage were masked, whether that character was human or symbolic. So the Early Church resisted adopting "person" language for the Trinity since it seemed to be saying that they wore masks (i.e. the heresy of modalism [hiss! boo!], where God dons a "Father" mask in the Old Testament, a "Son" mask in the New and the "Spirit" mask after Pentecost).

Does 1 Cor 13:12's notion of "face" suggest this idea of masks?

For now we see through a glass, darkly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; but then shall I know, even as also I am known.

"Face" here cannot mean "mask" ~ in fact, it's the opposite of mask. For now we see through a glass darkly (obscured view) but then, we will see each other face to face (true unveiling ~ perfect vision).*

More than that, we will know as we are fully known. I scratched my head over this bit ~ What? Who?

It'll help to see how Paul splits up time: now and future in verses 8-13. Paul oscillates between what remains now and a future time when perfection comes. Since love endures beyond the now, love is greatest (13:13) (we won't need faith and hope when Jesus comes back). Love in personal relationships are permanent, and span beyond this life.

"... even as also I am known". Who am I known by? God is the implied subject. He already sees and knows us truly and fully. In the future when all is revealed we will see clearly face to face. Then shall we know God and each other fully.

What a glorious promise for a world, whose cry is so often:
I don't want the world to see me,
'Coz I don't think that they'd understand

Well, everything's made to be broken,

I just want you to know who I am

("Iris" by Goo Goo dolls)

*Kudos to Gerald Bray for the above discussion from MTC Doctrine 2 lectures.

2 comments:

sandra j said...

What sparked this topic, btw?

Have you read "Till We Have Faces"? i read it, but was pretty disadvantaged cos i wasn't familiar with the original greek myth... don't remember much of it now. On the other hand, i think it's my mum's favourite C S Lewis!

Re your comments on 1 Cor 13:13 - do you think relationships (eg. family, friends) span beyond this life? (given there's no marriage in heaven...)

The face-to-face thing is also an image of the special intimacy between Moses & God - though no one has ever seen God (John 1:18), yet God spoke with Moses face to face, as a man speaks with his friend (Ex 33:11)...
And in Rev 22:4, the servants of the Lamb will see his face at last...
Who knew you could get so much theology out of a sketchy word study of "face" in the bible!

Hon said...

Topic was inspired by Ingmar Bergman's death (read about it in Gordon Cheng's blog). The Bray comment came about a week after that. And those things reminded me of Lewis and a poem by Gavin C, "The Distance".

Read "Till We Have Faces" in the first weeks of college in 06. I love how Lewis writes (his metaphors are so strong). I'm not sure I would have understood or appreciated what was going on in the original Greek myth (which I haven't read). Why does your mum like it?

This is just a speculation about how it is after Jesus comes back. (and I can't think of supporting verses... though Rev 21 comes close). All relationships will be fully realised. We will be joined with Christ and every member of the body will know and love each other completely (even Christians we don't know now) and be as one. We will no longer be broken, selfish or want to hide. Grudges, tensions and misunderstandings will dissolve. Wow... For one particular friend whom I'd like to patch things up with, when we see Jesus' glory, I can openly hug and tell them how much I love them - and there'll be no baggage that comes with sin. Praise God that he'll make everything new!

Like what you wrote about Moses' and Jesus' faces! More about God is revealed, then completely revealed... what a privilege to see God. Will be interesting to do a word study on prosopon.

About Moses seeing God in Ex 33. Do you think he was actually seeing Jesus?