Monday 2 June 2008

Mah-mee

This, this, this, this and that post made me think of my Mama. My Mother has always appeared in my ever-changing testimony, because she has been the prime shaper of my life.


Early memories consist of Mum teaching us very patiently, instilling in us strong senses of principles, rightness and other-person-centeredness. When we'd talk about everyday events, people, things, Mum would draw our attention to all the good, the adorable, the true. Whether it's flowers ("Look! Look!... ai yor ~ so many colours!" ) or kindness ("See, Daddy lets you have the bigger piece because he loves you"). In ourselves and others, character and conduct are more important than fashion and fanfare. Mum appreciates the hand of God in the little and big things. Counter-culturally, Mum encouraged us to be distinct, rather than conform, because Christian faith is so alien to the world. She would never blind us to society's evils, but tried to equip us for it. (Ask me about Mum's "stranger danger" preparation!).

I'm very grateful for the discipline we had. Reinforcement, fairness and following-through. Punishments for misdemeanors were very consistent (She'd ask "How many smacks does that deserve?". If we said "two" when it was actually three, she'd ask "Really?" and we'd concede. Both parties knew that 3 smacks are a comin'.). We were rarely indulged. If we sulked or were sobbing out of control, Mum would warn us, count to 3, inflict a smack and wait for us to control ourselves ~ Repeat, as needed. This takes a lot of patience and tenacity. If Mum has set rules, no amount of coercion, cuteness or begging would budge them. We are far from perfect now, but I'm so grateful as a Christian that Mum broke our autonomous spirit; it's far easier to submit to a Heavenly Father when we already submit to an earthly parent. The level of discipline would be considered stern in Australian society. But I consider it quite fair and aspire to bring up my children similarly. I lose respect for both the children throwing a tantrum in the supermarket aisle over cereal flavors and the passive parent looking on hopelessly.

Mum treats her children far more generously than herself. Her actions and priorities are marked by sacrifice and considerateness. If anyone would miss out, lose sleep, go last, have the dregs, be left in the kitchen, carry the heaviest load, it's Mum. Habitually, Mum sweeps through household chores so we'd be freed up to study. Even if her calloused hands has a cut, she'd continue single-handedly before interrupting your work. My parents swapped a very comfortable existence in Hong Kong for a very difficult and foreign one in Australia, which gave us opportunities and freedoms.

Mum is in her element in times of strife. If you're in trouble, you may or may not receive sympathetic words and fussing. But come to Mum for strength, time-tested wisdom, practical help and words spoken in plain truth. She'll do the right thing by you, whether you ask for it or not! I sometimes find evidence of generous donations to ministers or missionaries, but she would not tell us about her giving. Both Mum and Dad taught us to manage money, but they would never burden us with financial difficulties, even though our family must have had significant financial issues. Mum doesn't whinge or wallow in self-pity, but bears pain and difficulties with grace and fortitude without fuss. The observant may catch her in acts of quiet service.

Mum loves fun and her family. She treasures each person and sees times and opportunities as precious. Mum would save up treats to have together, one for everyone, so no one would miss out or eat greedily, leaving none for others. Mum maintained our family's prayer life. After reading the Bible or recapping events on my parents' bed, the youngest to the oldest take turns praying for something every night.

For the extended family reunion in 2001, Mum planned for years, literally. When our relatives arrived, nothing was unforeseen, lacking or done poorly. Mum catered to the needs of our relatives, provided more than enough and anticipated problems three steps before they occurred. My aunts were laughing and weeping as Mum recounted stories from their difficult and poverty-stricken childhood. There's a string of strong woman on my mother's side.

Mum modeled the importance of being ministry-minded, in migration, in school, in the home. For many years we had an open-house policy. When we bought a new house, Mum had in mind dimensions to accommodate church groups for dinners, Bible studies. My Mum could quickly knock up extra food for unexpected visitors. Bags of clothes, cut flower, shopping, food and household goods stood by the door, waiting for Mum to deliver them. I used to resentfully think I shared my Mum with everyone else.

A friend commented that Mother-daughter relationship is one of the most significant in life. Amen. Amen. I can see her influence in my everyday ethics and career choice (even though she discouraged me from entering ministry vocationally!). The relationship has its share of friction and disagreements, but there is no substitute.

Recently, I had an Anne of Green Gables / Jo March moment. I was joking with a friend about my first book, entitled, "Contraband: Absinthe, Bibles, Cigars". But he protested, "You should write about your family!" after listening to me prattle on about the amazing women and events in my family. The unmistakable figure that dominates the picture is my Mother.

6 comments:

Jean said...

Wait till you're a parent and you're child is throwing a tantrum in public but you know you can't smack them because of the (literal) smacking police! - not a pretty sight!! :)

I really enjoyed this post. And I think your mum's approach to discipline is truly awesome. I'm taking notes.

I was just chatting today with someone about how great your blog is - so encouraging and ministry minded. Keep it comin'!

Jean said...

Can you get that book on pre-order at Amazon? I want to read it. NOW! (And there's always a market for this kind of book, thinking practically.) So go for it. Please?

Honoria said...

Oh Big Sis! I put my hand over my mouth!! =S

(I wonder what the smacking-police carry around as equipment... padded mittens, anti-belt scizzors?)

Yeh, I'm often amazed at Mum's tenacity and persistence. Personally, I may not have the discipline or patience to teach and follow through as consistently as she did.

There's an opportunity for my Mum to spend an extended period with my grandmother mid-year, so perhaps I could ask her to record their history. (It's tricky because G'ma's most comfortable in our provincial language and Mum in Cantonese... and me in English! It'll have to be a group effort.) I'm thinking of a generational account, a la Wild Swans or Mao's Last dancer. But I'm not thinking commercially at all! Just getting something down to capture this interesting moment in history.

As always, your encouragement is heart-warming!

mattnbec said...

When I was teaching, there were discipline related things I thought I'd do/not do but I have discovered I'm not so strict or as I thought I would be. Especially when I'm tired and emotionally wrecked already. I hope I'm growing in it though. So good on your mum! I too am thankful for my parents' wise discipline.

Do take the opportunity to find out about family history while you can! My grandparents were wonderful, generous, godly people who didn't always speak of their own experiences because they were more interested in others. But there's lots I wish I knew more about. e.g. their trust in Jesus and perseverance throughout the difficulties of war and the POW camp; what trusting God was like during my grandmother's 3 cancer episodes; the joy and thankfulness of discovering she was pregnant again after having been told years earlier that more children was medically impossible. And I'm sure there's much more that I don't already know something about. So do find out!

Bec
PS "Ai Yor" - What exactly does that mean? My grandparents were from Malaya, and I remember hearing that. Although I have a sense of it from the context they'd say it in, I don't really know exactly what it means. I smiled to read it though and it was a lovely reminder of them.

Honoria said...

A friend of mine said about the toddlers: you have to carefully choose what you say no to. Because you have to follow through!

Thanks for the encouragement Bec. You're right, it would be good to seize the opportunity. (It's just a little difficult when they live in the US and my parents in Thailand)

"Ai Yor!" and "Ai Ya!" are synonymous exclamations. It's an expression that has a huge range of uses and meanings, depending on how you say it.

Ai Ya!! (Surprise, e.g. clothes on fire)

ai ya... (regrettably)

Aai 'Yaa...! (annoyance)

Ai ya (= *sigh*)

mattnbec said...

You definitely have to follow through - that's one thing I do remember from teaching. I guess I just meant that you let some things go when you're tired and have been at loggerheads all day because you don't have the energy for another battle right then or because there are bigger battles to fight and this one isn't worth making a fuss over as well. I suspect I underestimated how much those factors would come into play.

We had a talk about motherhood and young children today. One of the many good points raised was that it's easier to discipline while children are young so they respect you later on. It's evident in your discussion of your mum too.

No wonder I couldn't really pin down the meaning of 'ai yor/ya' and only had a general vibe! I think I heard it more 'ai ya' sort of sound. Probably mostly as an expression annoyance or exasperation (from my Mum, directed at me and I was in big trouble) or as a sigh. Thanks for clarifying.

Those distances do make it hard to find out more from your grandma. Hope there's opportunity mid-year then.

Bec