Thursday 17 April 2008

Lying about Hell

I'm writing an essay about hell and eternal punishment. And I've got a few unformed thoughts on the cutting room floor that I'd like to explore more. So don't be surprised if I post a sequence of hellish tid-bits.

Revelation describes the final experience of the unsaved as the “second death” (Rev 20:14) in the lake of fire without “rest day or night” (Rev 14:11).

People who deduce that there is no hell or eternal punishment seem to be buying a variation of Satan's original lie:

"You will not surely die," the serpent said... (Genesis 3:4)
Their claims that sin does not have devastating consequences, i.e. no "second death", echoes Satan's first statement which trivializes or nullifies the consequences of defying God.

It shouldn't be surprising, then, that theologians who deny hell often deny / subvert God's revelation or blatantly call God a liar.

Scholars who say this may be committing negligence to their hearers, like doctors who fail to advise patients of the adverse effects of an illness / treatment or one who gives the all clear when the prognosis should be terminal. But more that, they are (wrongly) judging God's judgment, and I fear for them on that count. Umm-mah...!

2 comments:

Ruth McIntosh said...

Dear Honoria
I ABSOLUTELY agree. I've been reading John Bevere's book 'Driven by Eternity' which I highly recommend. It is a call to Christians not to dilute the gospel and for me a timely reminder that, not only non-believers, but God's people will come before the judgement seat of Christ. He investigates what it means to persevere until the end.
Ruth

Honoria said...

Thanks for the tip, Ruth!

Even talking it about it at Bible college, lots of people say "I don't like 'Eternal Punishment'". As a lecturer said "We are all sympathetic to Universalism" (the belief that everyone will be saved in the end). I think it's a big blind spot for our age. We are quietly accepting a heresy.

I'm more and more convinced that eternal punishment in hell is necessary and part of the goodness of God. To hide hell away is to diminish the evilness of sin and Satan, and to diminish the goodness, justice, patience and graciousness of God.

How do you think "persevering to the end" fits in?